I figured a #Zelda shot was long overdue…(even though wii emulation isn’t a feat)
TLDR; got done with version 2 of my portable #steammachine based on #florianrenner ‘s awesome #gameboy1up concept… now onto version 2.5!
-Managed to shave off a 1/4″ in the depth and about 1/8″ in the length and width. Unit now measures: 7 3/4″ (197mm) x4 3/16″ (106mm) x1 1/32″ (26mm)
-Installed battery. Version 1’s battery never fit right.
-Xinput instead of Dinput using Zachery Littell’s ( @msf_reaper ) awesome library for the TeensyLC.
-Switch between mouse mode and gamepad mode using a key combination. Similar to the steam controller’s reptile mode.
-Replaced analog volume control with digital
-Buttons locations and sizes tweaked
-Used UV glue to bond the LCD plexi to the screen. Didn’t protect it enough so some of the glue got into the backlight
-Clean up all mistakes on the case
-Add battery management logic, low power notification, etc.
-Continue to tweak button ergonomics
-Create a simplified version to house a raspberry pi and model
-Speakers, I usually use headphones with handhelds so this has been a bit of a lower priority
-Paint the inside of the case a dark color and mask LEDs so they don’t shine through.
Screen size is driving the overall size of the case. It’s pretty large as is but basing it on 5″ doesn’t actually give you all that much volume to work with. I’ve been thinking of making a 7″ version of this which would allow me to use beefier hardware. I’ve got a M7 board that’s dying to get used. Still based around an @intel m3 processor.